Metro Manila · Work Visa & Work Permit

Passport "/var/ezdemo_site/storage/images/media/manila/images-manila/unnamed-untagged/passport/37258-1-eng-GB/Passport_zoom_image.jpg" 2000 1124 Passport

In order to work in the Philippines, you normally need a certain visa, a work permit, and pay taxes to the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR). The  Philippine Alien Employment Permit (AEP) is issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). It allows a foreign national to work in the country and is usually sent in with a pre-arranged employment visa. 

Before one can get an AEP, the company arranging the employment must show that “No person found in the Philippines is willing or competent to perform the service of which the foreign national is hired.”

If you are working for an international non-government organization (e.g. Asian Development Bank) or for a university, you do need a visa but won't need a work permit. You also have to pay taxes of course. For all other employments you have to get a VISA, a work permit, and pay taxes to the BIR. A working permit usually takes several months to process and costs roughly 800 EUR / 950 USD and is valid for one year. If in doubt, ask your employer. Processing fees can vary though so it is advisable to call the government agency in question before you go to one of their offices.

For more particular details on the different VISA, see our visa section. For legal details on work permits, contact a lawyer.