Metro Manila · Pancit
Pancit is the Philippine version of noodles. They are of Chinese origin and can be found in every canteen and on every party. Pancit Bihon is probably the most popular and common form of this comfort food. Having some people over for a house warming or birthday celebration? Here is what you should serve your guests.
- 1 pack of vermicelli rice noodles (or bihon)
- 2 to 3 tbsp. of cooking oil
- some black pepper
- 1/2 kg of chicken and/or pork, boiled and cut in pieces
- 1 chicken or pork cube (depending on the meat)
- 1/2 medium sized cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- handful of calamansi (or small lemons)
Soak the vermicelli in water for 5 to 10 minutes.
Sauté garlic and onion in a big pot with oil.
Add chicken and/or pork, cook for a couple of minutes, season with pepper.
Add the chicken or pork cube with 3 to 4 cups of water and the soy sauce. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the cabbage and carrots and simmer for a few more minutes.
Add the vermicelli and mix well, cook until they are soft.
Serve warm, season with calamansi to taste.